Saturday, July 3, 2010

i need to give this a chance


weheartit

It's a lovely story and one my friends never grow tired of hearing but 6 years on I'm now beginning to wonder if I'm stuck in a fairytale dream.

We met in 2004, a summer that brought a sleepy Portuguese fishing village alive with the passion and fun of the Euro 2004 football tournament. I saw him the first night of my two week family holiday, the hot skater that rolled past and made my knees weak. Finding out the next day that he worked in the shop round the corner from our apartment only made me giddy and after an insane amount of eye flirting and an encouraging "go speak to her you fool!" from his Irish friend, I was soon left dumbstruck when he finally approached me. We spent the whole night swapping life stories and when it finally came to saying goodbye something just made it too hard. Stolen kisses on his door step and a few walks back and forth as we tried to leave each and I was soon curled up in bed, the happiest girl alive, excited to see him the next day.

We spent every minute possible together after that. Hours on the beach with his friends, dinner with my parents and partying the night away. I felt a part of his life straight away and nothing or no one has ever made me feel like that again. I'm even proud of the scar I have on my arm when I didn't jump far enough cliff diving that summer. Safe to say my mum wasn't as impressed when he took me back home with blood running down my arm.

Leaving him that summer was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Crying on the way home with my 10 year old brother to comfort me was not my finest moment.

Then it happened. September the 5th he was hit walking home by a reckless driver. Actually dying and being resuscitated, he was in a pretty bad state. Stuck in another country, I was a complete mess knowing I couldn't go see him and that I came so close to never seeing him again. Countless surgeries later, his jaw rebuilt and some pretty epic battle scars, he's on the mend but he definitely worries that I don't see him the same way which is silly. He is and has always been the most beautiful boy I know.

We spent the following summer together again. My heart racing when I finally saw him again, we were both so happy to hold each other. The first night we spent together was amazing, nothing beats waking up to that smile. But being so young we both knew we were on borrowed time and that we sadly only had that fortnight together again. He lost the court case against his hit and run whilst I was there and I honestly did panic that he would throw himself off the cliff after I left him sitting under our tree. Nothing I could say or do seemed to make him realise that I didn't care if he had false teeth, as long as he wanted to kiss me I'd be there to return the favour.

Life happened, we got different partners but we never lost contact. Still going back to the same fishing village every summer, we spent a lot of time together and it always just felt right. We work, we click. I was in love with someone else but he never left my head and ultimately that's what ruined my other relationship. I couldn't resist, I couldn't fight the urge and we cheated on both our partners.

6 years later and we still can't move on. This is the first summer I've not booked a flight over and I think that's what has made us wake up and realise a connection like this doesn't happen every day. He's in the middle of getting his own flat and wants me out there as soon as everything is in place. We speak as much as we can and his words always make me smile. The idea of being a proper couple makes my heart skip a beat. Long distance is never easy and with me entering my final year of university it's only going to be even harder but I need to give this a chance or I'll never be able to move on. Years of comparing everyone I meet to him has to stop if I'm ever going to properly move on.

Can this all be real, can I finally get my happily ever after?

Ria

38 comments:

  1. This is beautiful.

    It's crazy because there are just some people you can't let go of...and would go beyond measures and doing things like cheating on someone else bc you love them so much... I'm wondering myself if I can every properly move on as well...

    I feel like I never will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think fate is telling yo usomething, yo ucan't keep going back and forth you need to stay your ground and go to him

    ReplyDelete
  3. you will get your happily ever after, i can just see it. you have a beautiful soul. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story is beautiful and you're right, having such a conncetion with someone like that doesn't happen every day. Please keep holding on to him, it will be worth it :). Thank you for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only wish this could ever happen to us. It has been a year and a half since we last kissed and I still remember everything. The way he said my name, the way he held me, the way everything was easy. And now he is not alone, so happy, so content, so different. It hurts too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. everyone deserves their own happily ever after and so do you :) be strong my friend and I'm sure you and him can work this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, this is heartfelt :)
    good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you do. When you feel a connection like the one you feel with him, its not something that just stops and you move on.

    All the best

    ReplyDelete
  9. go for it! seems you guys are meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This story is beautiful. I truly think you two are meant to be together, and I don't even know you! Good luck with everything...I'm sure this will be a tough year for you but stick it out, it'll be worth it.

    www.samaireinvancouver.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. :) you will. You both deserve it. Whilst I don't agree with cheating, still a beautiful story. Good luck.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Damn it..This is soo beautiful, this is love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. connections like that don't happen every day. "there's once in a lifetime and there's once in a while, & the difference between the 2 is about a million miles". it's so true. you can have a million & one infatuations, but if there's still always that one person that's constantly popping up in your head, and that you keep coming back to - don't push that away. you even said it yourself - no one has ever made you feel the same way. there's something there that you may never find again. someone or something - whether it be fate, or whatever you believe in - is trying to tell you something.
    again, whatever you believe in - fate, soulmates, true love, whatever - you have to allow yourself to recognize that there is a reason you two keep coming back to each other.
    i believe everything happens for a reason, so maybe you two went separate ways for a little while so that you could both grow more as individuals until you were truly ready to be together.
    obviously you can never expect anything to be as perfect as it is in the movies, but you never know - this could be your fairy tale happy ending. Best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Im touched.. and jealous at the same time. Its never easy to find a connection and not to mention one that don fade with times..Brave on, endure and work hard to a bright future ya!! Blessing fr here..

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's always that one person we never get over with ..eventhough we move on in life , we never really moved on from each other ..,

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's not so hard to love someone; love and let that be your answer, you only have one life, you only have the time left in it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. DO what the heart says and you'll never regret.
    it's a story that we would watch in a movie, make love stories like yours come true.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Katiie with two I:sJuly 4, 2010 at 6:52 PM

    my dear god. Book the flight!!! you can't sit and think back on what could have been if you went back. I think your story is bittersweet.I hope that in some crazy way that everything is going to... I don't know, I hope everything works out.
    Best!

    K

    ReplyDelete
  20. 6 years is to hard to walk away from especially from love
    i think its a sign that u guys are meant to be together and nothing will ever change that
    if u are worried about the long distance i think it'd be worth waiting until ur done school and be with him instead of trying to move on yet constantly being thought of him

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love you story. u r definetely meant to be, love stories like yours are worth the fight and the wait. dont give up on that love, these past six years could be just the beggining of a lifetime with the love of your life! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is crazy;D. Wow. Most people never were in this kind of situation. Make the best out of it!:D

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your story. I dont know you, I dont know how do you feel exactly for this guy, BUT it seems to me that this is something strong between you and him.
    you have to fight for your love! You are the only one how knows if it is worthy or not:-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Reminds me of the movie "Same time, next year". Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. your story reminds me of a The Notebook! go back to him, stop torturing yourselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful story. I really like your story and picture :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have a similar story. And being with him is the best decision I've ever made. You'll never know if you don't try and failing at this is better than making any number of other relationships fail because of this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. your story is beautiful! go live this love girl!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. im actually crying.

    if youre not for each other, everything ive ever felt love to be is wrong.

    go for it. or wait, nobody needs to tell you that.

    youll end up with him.
    would be great if you could update us. i wish you all the best that could ever happen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful story. Book that flight, right now! (: And good luck - I'm sure you two are ment to be. A such connection is not a normal thing. You're very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just as Stephanie, I've also cried. Such a lovely story! I guess that, after all, these are the stories that gets me on believing on long distance relationships. I mean, if it's meant be, it will work out. Just like you guys. Truly wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  32. if you love someone...do anything to be with them<3macki

    ReplyDelete
  33. he's the one!! have faith :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I too met a beautiful Portuguese man on a family vacation. It was love at first sight for us both. We didn't even kiss that first meeting, but our attraction was so strong that he travelled 4 days and 22 hours to visit me a few weeks ago. I love him as I have loved no other - and I too want the happy ever after with him, as he is truly the love of my life. Our stories are ones they make movies out of... but I believe in love, one true love like ours.

    1/2 a world apart maybe but love can conquer all if you want it bad enough.

    I want it bad enough - I think you do to!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...